LETTER FROM A SOLDIER
A letter written from the trenches recounts scenes from a soldier’s last days, registering his last words. Well after all the guns went silent, his words were read by his mother seated in a poppy field. This impressionistic animation of inks and washes combines original images with words drawn from Wilfred Owen’s WWI poem ‘Dulce et Decorum Est’.
It was made for the Canvas series ’12 minutes about peace’ to commemorate the First World War.
Director – Silvia Defrance
Writer – Silvia Defrance
Producer – Silvia Defrance (The Framed Pony’s) & Eurydice Gysel (Czar Film & Tv)
Sound – Tom Daniels
Editor – Silvia Defrance
Flanders Audiovisual Fund (VAF), Flemish Literature Fund (FLF)
Supported by Kinepolis & Canvas
Sales & Distribution
International sales by Premium Films
Silvia Defrance studied Animation Film at the School of Arts in Ghent / KASK where she graduated as a Master in the Audiovisual Arts and later, during 2012 she obtained a practice based PhD in Audiovisual Arts at the same school in collaboration with UGent university. In 2008 Silvia wrote, directed and produced ‘Candy Darling’, a crossover short film (26’) which bridges the gap between live action and CGI. The film was selected and screened at various film festivals around the world, was sold to the Belgian television station Canvas and won several international awards. ‘Her Voice’ is part of a personal research project within the framework of her practical PhD in Audiovisual Arts that she finished in September 2012.
- Selected for Annecy International Animated Film Festival, France, 2014
- Selected for Short Film Corner at Cannes Film Festival, France, 2014
- Selected for Festival du Film Merveilleux et imaginaire, France, 2015
- Selected for Montreal World Film Festival, Canada, 2015
- Selected for Festival International du Film Francophone de Namur, Belgium, 2015
- Selected for Naqsh Short Film Festival, Bahrain, 2015
- Selected Valladolid International Film Festival, Spain, 2015
- Selected Arras Film Festival, France, 2015
- Selected for Cairo Film Festival, Egypt, 2015